[Scribus] cvs bugs

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef
Mon Mar 24 22:51:39 CET 2003

Hi Franz,

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:00:44 +0100
Franz Schmid <Franz.Schmid at altmuehlnet.de> wrote:

> > - the font "Century Schoolbook L Medium Italic" seems to generate pdf
> > that's much lighter (in color) than normal text (first sentence in
> > .sla document). Only acrobat seems to be affected by this.
> Acrobat substitutes the font Century Schoolbook L Medium Italic with one
> of its MultiMasterFonts, since that Font isn't embedded in the PDF. Try
> to embed the Font into the PDF. Hint, a font that can be embedded into
> the PDF is marked with a green tickmark in the Fonts Tab of the
> PDF-Exporter. To be able to embed a Type1 Font you must have a .afm File
> for it.

hmmm ... indeed, I didn't check to see if it was included, will do so
tomorrow.

> > - the font "Arial Medium" with the style "italic" shows italic text in
> > scribus, but not in any pdf reader.
> Arial Medium is a regular Font, the Style italic is done via a simple
> transformation in Scribus and the Postscript Output, but that isn't
> possible in PDF, there are no operators for it in PDF. Use a real Arial
> Medium Italic instead.

ok, I can accept to use "Arial Medium Italic" instead of "Arial Medium"
with style "Italic", but for many people, this will bring about confusion:
most people are used to word-processors (kword, soffice, MS Word) and
there you select "Arial Medium" with style "Italic".

So maybe a small feature request:
if an italic-font exists for a font where style italic has been choosen,
replace the font by it's italic brother
And another one:
if the result of an operation (like this italic-style on a regular font)
is known to cause unexpected pdf output, display a warning on screen (but
this one is probably much more difficult to implement)

With friendly regards,

Franky