[Scribus] slow textbox on low resource system

Paul paulf.johnson
Wed Mar 19 09:13:22 CET 2003

Hi,

> I'm using Linux (Mandrake 8.1 with updates) on an
> Pentium 200 / 96 MB RAM system.
> Currently I've scribus 0.9.6 (precompiled Pack  from
> rpmfind.net)installed.
>
> When I've a textbox with more than ~10 lines, on every
> mouse-action or while typing new text into the box,
> tho whole text is rewritten again and again on the
> screen.

AIUI, text is handled by Qt rather than by Scribus. Which version of Qt
are you using and which desktop manager are you using? I've tested
0.9.8pre2 (my dev version from CVS) under RH 8 on a really low end
machine (486-30 laptop to be exact) and while it takes about 20 minutes
for X to fire up, I've not noticed any great problems with text redraw.

> Does Scribus render text on screen so much different
> than other Apps. like StarOffice or AbiWord?

Yes, it uses Qt. OOo uses it's own system as does AbiWord.

> DO YOU KNOW KNOW ANY "SCREW TO DRIVE" ON MY SYSTEM TO
> GET THIS PROBLEM SOLVED?

Enable a larger swap area as well as increasing the amount of memory in
your machine may help.

> Or is just my system too slow for scribus? :-(

As I say, it should be okay, borderline, but okay.

TTFN

Paul
(who spent the night messing with a HTML importer/exporter)

--
Tired of bloated software which gobbles up your system resources?
Bored of hearing your harddrive being thrashed by inefficient code?