[Scribus] OpenOffice.org Support

ephemeron ephemeron
Thu Jun 19 00:22:21 CEST 2003

Cheers!

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:55:24 +0200,
Johannes Wilm wrote:

> On Sunday 15 June 2003 22:27, Peter Linnell wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 13:49, Johannes Wilm wrote:
> > > As koffice (and abiword) will be switching to the OO-format
> > > and they need extensions for some things wouldn't make
> > > sense switching the scribus-format to OO as well? As it
> > > probably needs some extensions one could simply give the
> > > siles a different extension and then one might get the
> > > OO-team to incorporate the extensions at some point of
> > > time.
> >
> > While in theory this might work, it is probably best to keep
> > them separate.

Yes!  I don't like the all-in-one, "one program to rule them
all" approach.

> > 1. Scribus PDF export, IMO is superior - probably the best
> > designed PDF exporter next to Indesign 2.0. And Adobe has
> > been perfecting their PDF export for years. Certainly,
> > Scribus is the best in linux land.
>
> sure
>
> > 2. Word processors vs. page layout programs. I cannot
> > emphasize this enough when I am tutoring new users of DTP
> > applications. I would no sooner try to make elaborate
> > brochures with Open Office, than I would try to type letters
> > or essays with Scribus.
>
> This is something totally unrelated as I did not mean to ask
> for scribus being integrated with koffice/OO.  But then there
> are several things in koffice fx karbon. And they are looking
> at a new way to generally render stuff better - using kpainter
> with several front ends. They have not made any PDS or
> postscript frontends but that is the plan. Now wouldn't it make
> sense trying to get that PS and PDF renderer up to the standard
> of scribus PDF-export and then use kpainter in scribus instead
> (would maybe not leave much left of scribus I guess)? ...

This is OK, so long as only the essential parts are utilized,
kind of the way Apple raided Konqueror's rendering engine for
their Safari browser, and threw out the other fancy stuff (which
the Apple OS already has loads of).

> > 3. When I create text docs with Scribus, I type the text in
> > Kwrite or Kedit or Open Office - depending on length and
> > mood. Then, import into Scribus. I do the same when working
> > with other DTP apps. OO to Pagemaker or ID
>
> yeah that is what I do too. But then I know several people that
> use kword as a DTP-app (yes it is possible you can set it to
> start out without any standard text frame) and they really
> would like to switch back and forth between kword and scribus
> (as the like the control in kword better, but it doesn't allow
> them to do some of the fancy stuff that scribus does). So they
> would really like to be able to open kword-files.

I like scribus's lite dependencies.  Why turn it into a
full-blown KDE app?  Konqueror, in some respects a superior
browser to Mozilla, is the only KDE app I use regularly.  Sure,
they're all Free and OpenSouce apps, but that's kind of driving
your Ferrari to the supermarket when you can use your bicycle or
Segway.  BTW I use Emacs for most of my word processing, and
abiword for the rest.

The most popular opensource apps are those which are Desktop
(even OS) agnostic, like Mozilla, OpenOffice.org, Apache, or The
Gimp (in its latest incarnation, a GTK2 app that doesn't depend
needlessly on Gnome2).

--
Ensure the future of the human race;
Support the colonization of space!