[Scribus] OpenOffice.org Support

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sun Jun 15 22:27:26 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 13:49, Johannes Wilm wrote:
> As koffice (and abiword) will be switching to the OO-format and they need
> extensions for some things wouldn't make sense switching the scribus-format
> to OO as well? As it probably needs some extensions one could simply give the
> siles a different extension and then one might get the OO-team to incorporate
> the extensions at some point of time.

While in theory this might work, it is probably best to keep them
separate.

1. Scribus PDF export, IMO is superior - probably the best designed PDF
exporter next to Indesign 2.0. And Adobe has been perfecting their PDF
export for years. Certainly, Scribus is the best in linux land.

2. Word processors vs. page layout programs. I cannot emphasize this
enough when I am tutoring new users of DTP applications. I would no
sooner try to make elaborate brochures with Open Office, than I would
try to type letters or essays with Scribus.

3. When I create text docs with Scribus, I type the text in Kwrite or
Kedit or Open Office - depending on length and mood. Then, import into
Scribus. I do the same when working with other DTP apps. OO to Pagemaker
or ID

4. This would make the file formats even more complex.

5. Require significant re-writing of the page code in Scribus.

Just my thoughts,

Peter