[Scribus] let's resume...

Robert Kaiser KaiRo
Wed Jul 30 15:23:05 CEST 2003

Hi,

>>If you'll need any help with Bugzilla, I'm glad to throw in my knowledge...
>
> My (little) experience with BugZilla isn't that good... I once reported a
> Mozilla bug: I had to fill out a massive form of some sort, some kind
> of registration. Then I sent my report and never heard anything about
> it again.

That was probably the fault of the people the bug got assigned to.
The form is that massive because we try to force the users to provide as
much information as they can, as we get a real pile of bug reports in
Mozilla (bugzilla.mozilla.org currently holds over 200.000 bug reports,
lots of them being duplicates of others). Remember, browser users can be
real computer newbies, and we got lots of reports styled "Mozilla
doesn't show web sites correctly" with no further information provided,
so we had to come up with some mechanism to prevent that.

>>From the user point of view, I like the Debian BTS better: you send a
> mail describing your problem, which is automatically filled with
> version information etc. by the bug reporting tool. You get a
> confirmation that your report was received, and you are noticed when
> anything further happens.

I guess that "bug reporting tool" is somehow "integrated" with Debian
(I'm on SuSE, so I don't know it) - so this is not what we can really
use (btw, bugzilla.mozilla.org prefills some information in it's forms
with values guessed from your user agent).
If you're filling out the bug reporting form of Bugzilla, you get a
confirmation as a web page, and you can always use the "my bugs" query
when logged in to get a list of all bug reports you filed. You get
notifications via E-Mail about all comments etc. to your report, as you
get notified about when it's getting fixed.
And note that bugzilla contains patch management, so people can attach
patches to bugs, request somebody to review such a patch etc.
Additionally, don't narrow your view of Bugzilla to the Mozilla project,
as lots of others, like KDE, OpenOffice.org, Wine, or parts of the Linux
Kernel Community (to name the bigger ones), use their own, sometimes
heavily modified, installations of Bugzilla.

Anyways, it's up to the active developers and leaders of the project to
decide if and what they want to use as a bug tracking solution.

Greetings from Upper Austria,

Robert Kaiser