[Scribus] InDesign -> Scribus ?

Craig Bradney cbradney
Tue Dec 30 21:25:32 CET 2003

Hi Tristan

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 21:15, Tristan Miller wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I'm responsible for typesetting a newspaper, for which I have been using
> Adobe InDesign 1.5 on MS-Windows. I normally work on a SuSE 9.0 system, so
> at this point working on the newspaper is the only reason I ever reboot to
> Windows.
>
> I heard about Scribus and was wondering if some experienced users could
> tell me whether it might be suitable to meet my needs. You can visit
> http://www.nothingisreal.com/tmp/ to get an idea of the design complexity
> of the newspaper I work on.  If Scribus can make similar-looking documents
> without too much more hassle than InDesign 1.5, then I'm willing to devote
> the time to learning it.  Comments?
>
> Regards,
> Tristan

I have been producing a car club magazine for over 7 years now using
various Windows "products" including Word, Publisher and InDesign 1.0
and 2.0. It ranges from 24-40 pages, produced 6x per year. The last one
was produced in Scribus, and was 24 pages. Output was as good as if not
better with similar layout (99%) to previous InDesign ones. Looking at
that site, I seen no reason why you couldnt produce that within Scribus.

If you have decent bandwidth I can privately give you a URL to grab a
copy of the latest magazine PDF (80Mb).

regards
Craig