[Scribus] InDesign -> Scribus ?

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed Dec 31 06:02:36 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 15:15, Tristan Miller wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I'm responsible for typesetting a newspaper, for which I have been using
> Adobe InDesign 1.5 on MS-Windows. I normally work on a SuSE 9.0 system, so
> at this point working on the newspaper is the only reason I ever reboot to
> Windows.
>
> I heard about Scribus and was wondering if some experienced users could
> tell me whether it might be suitable to meet my needs. You can visit
> http://www.nothingisreal.com/tmp/ to get an idea of the design complexity
> of the newspaper I work on.  If Scribus can make similar-looking documents
> without too much more hassle than InDesign 1.5, then I'm willing to devote
> the time to learning it.  Comments?
>
> Regards,
> Tristan

To second what Craig has said, you should be able to do what you are
doing in Scribus without any troubles. Having experience with a DTP app
will get you up to speed quickly.

Moreover, if your printer accepts PDF, you will find it quite easy to
transition. I check Scribus created PDF's via a number of pre-press
pre-flight tools like Pit Stop and the quality is excellent. I have
written an article specifically to address this. Look under downloads >
Sample Docs for pre-press on http://scribus.net

This list and #scribus on irc.freenode.net are here for more questions.

Peter