[Scribus] sundry minor points

bart at solozone.com bart
Wed Dec 3 01:59:07 CET 2003

In scribus 1.1.4cvs build December 1, 2003 C-*-T
with QT 3.2.1 SuSE 9.0 &  KDE 3.1.4
First:
doing "nothing"  (except clicking somewhere?) I get

bart at linux:~/fonts> scribus
*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice

Second:
There is something the matter with the kerning
on the display font, I mean the menu font for the
recent files to be called up
thus in "bartfont.sla" the "l" character is
smashed close to the "a" character almost merging
them. You do have to look but it is there. Is this
your kerning? qt? or kde?
N. B I just noticed in kde menus the "i" is too far to the right.
This all may be their problem. I will try other
display fonts.

Third:
there is display problem. In bartfont.sla where I
have 36 point examples of 10 of my  Bitstream fonts,
if I pull the scroll bar at the right, one line that
then emerges has its TOP CHOPPED OFF. As soon as one
clicks the thing resolves. But if you go back to the
top, the same thing happens. I use a 1024  X 768 top.

Fourth:
FYI my Caslon font that exported OK was a post script
and i try to use only post script fonts. How by the
way does scribus handle *.afm fonts? I put afm pfm and
pfb fonts indiscriminately in the same font folder.
Correct? No? Bitstream vera is ttf and does not so well
export. The default font setting is elusive.

Fifth:

The default tool is "move" when one opens the file and
this always results in a point error in position
simply because one clicks! others, i am sure, will be
more careful.

Scribus looks absolutely gorgeous!
bart at solozone.com