[Scribus] Problems with Scribus.

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sun Aug 24 00:50:13 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 00:39, Bill Carini wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 06:18:09PM +0100, Paul wrote:
> >
> > > 4. When the fonts did show up, they looked on screen as if the tracking
> > > were REALLY cramming the characters together. Wasn't sure if that was
> > > just a display setting or what, but it doesn't do that on other apps on
> > > this box (KWord, etc).
> >
> > Not seen that one, but you can alter the spacing and gap between the
> > text.
> >

> I think this was discussed on the list a couple of months ago.
>
> I have the same problem. The characters are squished together on the display,
> but they look fine when printed (see attached screenshots). So don't alter
> the spacing until you see how the printed page or PDF looks. I was hoping that
> upgrading to Qt 3.2 would solve this problem, but it hasn't.
>
> I think someone said that this is an XFree issue. Any ideas for making
> the display more closely resemble the printout?

I suspect looking at the screen cap, this is one of the ghostscript
fonts, aliased as Helvetica.

I would try the following:

If you run KDE, install the MS webfonts and install them as root via
Kfontinstaller with the option to create .afm files. Replace the current
font with Arial medium.  The rendering on screen should be much better.

This tends to fix this type of problem. Qt 3.2 does help, in reducing
jagged font display, especially when freetype2 installed and Scribus is
compiled using the freetype2 devel libs. It is also faster in redraws.

Hope that helps,
Peter