[Scribus] Newbie font-question

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed Aug 20 06:01:05 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 15:38, Martin Costabel wrote:
> Ralf H?ling wrote:
> > Hi Peter!
> > Am Dienstag, 19.08.03, um 07:29 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Peter Linnell:
> []
> >> 1. While we really do appreciate the folks who have done the porting
>
> That would be me, I guess. Unfortunately, I know nothing about font
> management, either in X11 or in MacOS. I don't have any private fonts
> installed, and the ghostscript and Apple system fonts seem to work in
> scribus.

Good to know the basic stuff works. The effort is acknowledged and
appreciated.

> >> work for Scribus, none of the main developers runs or test OSX on their
> >> own.
> >
> > This is a pity for them and for me, I think ;-)

I think Paul has done some testing compiling Scribus with the GPL Qt3
source on OSX, although I do not know the exact results.

> I have the Fink packages x-ghostscript-fonts and applesystemfonts
> installed. These packages create directories
> /sw/lib/X11/fonts/{ghostscript,applettf} that are populated with
> symlinks to the right font files and all the other necessary stuff. In
> particular, fonts.dir and fonts.scale files are generated. Scribus seems
> to find them OK.

OK, now were getting somewhere.

/sw/lib/X11/fonts is kind of the way Solaris packages third party and
GNU utilities. Is there some automatic mechanism for generating these in
OSX X11?  How are fonts.dir and fonts.scale generated ?

On Linux these are created with the Xfree86 utilties mkfontdir and
ttfmkdir. With later versions of Xfree86 which have Xft2 and fontconfig,
they are supposed to be created automatically by fontconfig.

> You might want to have a look at the applesystemfonts-*.info file for an
> idea what to do with your own fonts.
>
> There are a couple of other Fink packages containing fonts. I haven't
> tried them, but I suppose they will be doing the right thing, too, to be
> recognized by Scribus.

Could you see if this is the case?  Any hints you have would be welcome
and we can include them in the docs. Or other sources of info on how
Apple X11 handles fonts?

Thanks again.
Peter