[Scribus] Newbie font-question

Martin Costabel costabel
Thu Aug 21 00:13:38 CEST 2003

Peter Linnell wrote:
[]
> I think Paul has done some testing compiling Scribus with the GPL Qt3
> source on OSX, although I do not know the exact results.

There are 2 versions of Qt for MacOSX, both of them free now. The Fink
package for Scribus uses X11 and works with qt-x11-free-3.1.2. I know
that people have compiled Scribus with Qt/Mac on OSX, but I don't know
how this works yet. Of course, if this works correctly, it would be
great, because running natively on OSX is always preferable to running
under X11. But I suspect the porting questions, and in particular the
font handling problems, will be quite different in both cases.

[]
> OK, now were getting somewhere.
>
> /sw/lib/X11/fonts is kind of the way Solaris packages third party and
> GNU utilities. Is there some automatic mechanism for generating these in
> OSX X11?  How are fonts.dir and fonts.scale generated ?

/sw is Fink's private equivalent of /usr/local or /opt. Here are the
relevant lines from the install scripts of the applesystemfonts package.
They show how this can be done:

     find /Library/Fonts /Network/Library/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts
/Users/*/Library/Fonts  -name \*.dfont -print | while read file; do
            fondu -force "$file"
      done

Fondu <http://fondu.sourceforge.net/> is a special conversion tool for
Apple fonts that can create the usual pfb, ttf etc files from Apple font
files.

     %p/bin/ttfmkfontdir -o fonts.dir -m 10 -c
     if test -x /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontscale; then
/usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontscale;
     fi
[]
     if test -x %p/bin/xfontpath; then
         %p/bin/xfontpath --silent install applettf
     fi
     if grep -v -q `%p/bin/xfontpath
basedir`/applettf/etc/X11/XftConfig; then
         echo dir \"`%p/bin/xfontpath basedir`/applettf\" >>
/etc/X11/XftConfig
     fi

%p is short for /sw (or another base directory the user might have
chosen), and the usual xfree86 tools are used.

[]
>>There are a couple of other Fink packages containing fonts. I haven't
>>tried them, but I suppose they will be doing the right thing, too, to be
>>recognized by Scribus.
>

> Could you see if this is the case?  Any hints you have would be welcome
> and we can include them in the docs. Or other sources of info on how
> Apple X11 handles fonts?

I have tried some other packages, msttcorefonts (ms meaning the obvious,
fonts like Arial, Verdana etc), gimp-freefonts and gimp-sharefonts (some
shareware fonts), and they seem to be recognized by Scribus without
further configuration.

--
Martin