[scribus-dev] New Dev Version Splash Screen?

Kunda Loves Scribus scribus.user at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 23:24:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 1:17 AM, "Christoph Schäfer" <
christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:

> > Greg,
> > Agreed, but can't that be mitigated through language? Something like an
> > '...Unless you know what you're doing'. Cheers,
> > /Kunda
>
> Hi Kunda,
>
> Only three bits of information for you and the rest of our subscribers:
>
> 1) 1.5.0 (and subsequently 1.6.0) will come with a new splash screen. It's
> based on the 1.4.x one, but much more beautiful. For example, the pen has
> been turned into a magic wand. It has been created by a talented Dutch art
> student, who will send us the final version in a month or so.
>
> 2) Just like previous versions, 1.5.0 will include a "What's new in ...?"
> file in the Online Manual (check its current status by pressing F1). Before
> we relase 1.5.0, I'll add a warning to this file.
>
> 3) It might be possible to release 1.5.0 as "1.6.0 Alpha 1", because
> that's what it will be: a first official release that doesn't claim to be
> completely stable or feature-complete, but rather something to allow
> large-scale testing and feedback. I fondly remember the first official
> alpha release of OpenOffice.org by SUN, which enabled me to play with it,
> mourn the loss of my beloved StarOffice Desktop and let the programme crash
> once in a while. Back then I knew it wasn't ready to use in a production
> environment, but it helped to see where it was headed. Today, all major
> FLOSS projects, including Scribus, have more or less easily accessible
> bugtracking systems (Mantis being one of the most efficient, IMHO), so it's
> much easier to convert test results into bug reports. Moreover, Craig,
> Franz and Jean have recently been extremely busy with fixing reported bugs,
> so I expect 1.5.0/1.6.0 Alpha 1 to be more stable than OpenOffice.org 1.0
> Alpha 1.
>
> Christoph

Hey Christoph,

Thanks for the elaboration. Very thorough and thought out. I also
appreciated how you shared your experience of StarOffice. I wasn't so
oriented to open source at that time so I like hearing about 'them old
days' :)

I just want to say that I still feel thoroughly amused by a-l-e's
contribution and proposal that bleeding edge builds have a slightly
humorous flair to them (and we can learn from GIMP: http://goo.gl/TTsBZR)
and to make people super certain that they are operating in a experimental
environment (again Gimp 2.9.1: http://goo.gl/ltGEbH). What I originally
shared still stands out for me:

> But as FirasH pointed out that on machines that use SSD the splash screen
is almost invisible (because loading speed is so fast). So I think we may
need to go a little extra than just altering the Splash screen.

Especially when in these times there are efforts to make HEAD builds more
available for folks who are interested in using the ported features and
have a powerful eagerness to forego waiting for the Scribus release cycle.
To me the extra step of humor gives it that quirky open source feeling that
gets me all fuzzy inside. Of course, how do we keep things as professional
and reputable as possible to ensure confidence and reliability at
simultaneously. Worthy examinations, IMO.

Thank you again for your attention,
/Kunda