[scribus-dev] New Dev Version Splash Screen?

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Jun 13 06:17:00 UTC 2014

> Greg,
> Agreed, but can't that be mitigated through language? Something like an
> '...Unless you know what you're doing'. Cheers,
> /Kunda

Hi Kunda,

Only three bits of information for you and the rest of our subscribers:

1) 1.5.0 (and subsequently 1.6.0) will come with a new splash screen. It's based on the 1.4.x one, but much more beautiful. For example, the pen has been turned into a magic wand. It has been created by a talented Dutch art student, who will send us the final version in a month or so.

2) Just like previous versions, 1.5.0 will include a "What's new in ...?" file in the Online Manual (check its current status by pressing F1). Before we relase 1.5.0, I'll add a warning to this file.

3) It might be possible to release 1.5.0 as "1.6.0 Alpha 1", because that's what it will be: a first official release that doesn't claim to be completely stable or feature-complete, but rather something to allow large-scale testing and feedback. I fondly remember the first official alpha release of OpenOffice.org by SUN, which enabled me to play with it, mourn the loss of my beloved StarOffice Desktop and let the programme crash once in a while. Back then I knew it wasn't ready to use in a production environment, but it helped to see where it was headed. Today, all major FLOSS projects, including Scribus, have more or less easily accessible bugtracking systems (Mantis being one of the most efficient, IMHO), so it's much easier to convert test results into bug reports. Moreover, Craig, Franz and Jean have recently been extremely busy with fixing reported bugs, so I expect 1.5.0/1.6.0 Alpha 1 to be more stable than OpenOffice.org 1.0 Alpha 1.

Christoph