[scribus-dev] to gsoc or not to gsoc?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 18:15:49 UTC 2013

2013/3/19 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>

> On 03/19/2013 08:37 AM, JLuc wrote:
> > There is a wider list of ideas for GSOC13
> > http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/GSoC_2013_Ideas
> >
> > Some projects probably dont require as much mentor involvment
> > in case the student is serious and competent enough.
> >
> > I'm quite sure a serious and competent student can do a lot of good
> > and get results that can be merged, even without requiring too much
> > help, code and availability from the mentor.
> >
> > And as far as my 2012 experience is worth,  and looking at
> > how it happened with the various students, succeeding or not,
> > it is quite possible to know right at the begining (and before engaging)
> > wether a student is serious and has chance to succeed or not.
> >
> > So maybe the answer should be YES : lets propose a couple of subjects,
> > BUT with the following appropriate decision :
> > - make sure we engage only with students we have a strong faith in.
> > (if none convince us, lets just say when required "we dont engage")
> > - make sure the devs of the students are thoroughfully tested
> > in real time, so they can be merged immediatly.
> >

> I'm a little concerned with this approach, even though it may have some
> merits.
> Are we going to ask potential students to make an application, then
> maybe we withdraw our support because we have no confidence in them?
> Are we going to potentially get an approval from GSoC, only to turn it
> down later because we have no confidence in the student?
>
> Either of these sets us up to be a potentially undependable project. Why
> would students show interest in us? Why would GSoC show interest in us?

How about inviting GSoC students at LGM? That way we could know them
better, have direct discussion with them and build interest on both sides.
We do have a little budget that we could use to fund a couple of trips to
Madrid on top of the LGM budget itself (Scribus budget, that is).

We all know just how strong can become the relationships, even though we
meet only once a year.

As to increase sponsorship by Google for LGM, that remains to be discussed
but if we let know Google LGM is also the place where students can meet
with developers, then all the best.

Louis