[scribus-dev] to gsoc or not to gsoc?

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Wed Mar 27 16:32:09 UTC 2013

Le 18/03/2013 18:45, Oleksandr Moskalenko a écrit :
> GSoC 2013 mentoring organization application period is now open. The applications are due before 12:00PM on the 29th. We could apply if there were volunteers to be GSoC mentors this Summer. Let me know if anyone's interested. Otherwise, there is no reason for us to apply.

Hello Alex,

After letting this thread run and have some talks on IRC,
here is the appearing output of this question :

The role of the official mentor is mainly to be the main guide for the student.
Cezariece is the most possible mentor.
Nobody else has proposed to be.

A couple of other Scribus contributors agree to help with mentoring :
giving techical advices, answering questions.
Namely Chelen and a-l-e and me as far as i can.
Maybe other scribus devs too (wellcome to new coders or old GSOC students !)
That will be the "scribus GSOC team" working around the official mentor and the student.

We agreed on the fact that the student selection process should ensure
that the student is really willing and technically able to code and succeed.
If we can not really trust the fact that a student will succeed,
then we prefer to NOT GSOC at all.

We regret that it is difficult and long to have patches commited to the core svn.
We understand that core devs have to check thoroughfully the code and the features
and that makes the commit process heavier and longer.
We propose that the GSOC team checks thoroughfully the "supposed to be ready code"
so as to ensure that features are OK and that there is no bugs.
I shall take part to that testing work, along with anybody who wants it.
The goal is certify that the proposed-to-the-SVN patches are 100% OK
and to raise the trust in the proposed patches so they can be easily merged.

We agreed that the subject guideline for the GSOC should be :
"correct bugs, improve usability and finish existing features"

More specifically, subject could be "Finish tables".
Scribus 1.5svn new tables come from a previous GSOC.
New table code is allready commited in SVN.
It is ok but it needs usability improvements and would improve with some power features,
possibly around styles and  more.
Another part of the GSOC could be "Manage styles during SLA Page Import"
(that's bug 11111).

Application deadline is very soon now.
Are you OK with this plan malex ? cezariece ?
Can you confirm very quickly your involvment as a mentor in the GSOC cezariece ?

Sincerly,
JLuc