[scribus-dev] to gsoc or not to gsoc?

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Thu Mar 21 18:54:46 UTC 2013

Le 21/03/2013 07:54, Czarek a écrit :

>> The team is not participating this year due to other commitments unless
>> someone like JLuc steps up to mentor.

I was a "reserve" mentor last year.
I was a C++ coder a very long time ago (back to windows 3)
but i'm not a scribus coder at all so i could not mentor on my own
but i can help with mentoring this year again.

> Hmmm... maybe I will be able to be a mentor for one or two students.
> It is possible?
> What exactly is mentor requirements?

the mentors then are the student's coach for the length of the GSOC
and (mainly Malex) are google's partners in the scribus team.

they define some possible subjects for the GSOC

after (Malex) has applied to the GSOC for Scribus
and the application has been accepted by google,
scribus is allowed some "slots" : a max number of possible GSOC projects.

the mentors care for the students when these apply for some subject,
they explain scribus and the scribus GSOC projects in case it's necessary

they propose some exercices = hacks to do
so as to check the student's abilities and willingness to work

past year experience shows that this part is critical
in forecasting the project's succes or failure
before engaging with a student in a project.

quality of the communication with the student is important too.

then each student defines and writes a GSOC project proposal
inspired from the initially proposed projects and detailing it
more technically

the mentor helps him with this proposal and with defining
a realistic and efficient timing of expected achievements.

the mentor then vote for or against each proposal/each student
this is the first official move of an official mentor

after this and with google approval, the GSOC begins
with the by the mentors voted and by google accepted students.

the mentors then coaches the student technically in case it is needed :
giving him a coding global framework, helping him with tools, methodologies,
programming, hints on debuging, checking the works, bringing advice on future devs.

The mentor checks that the achievements are following the project
and the expected timetable.

Then at 2 or 3 specific times/stages, the mentors are asked to vote
for or against the continuation of the GSOC project :
if the student has well performed, the note is "ok",
in case the student has shown no chance nor will to improve, they vote "no".
If "no", the GSOC is over for this project.
if "yes" it goes on till the nexte stage or till the end of the GSOC.

each of the official step has a time frame and a deadline
that is precisely defined by the GSOC
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2013

Some previous mentors will explain more or correct me if required.

JLuc