[scribus-dev] Automated/Headless Publishing

Martin Meyerhoff mamhoff at googlemail.com
Sun May 27 21:29:31 UTC 2012

Hi Cedric,

the easiest way i actually know is playing with python extensions. You
> can grab your sources from any database type or file type (xml, csv or
> whatever) anf then produce a basic layout from that and produce PDF. But
> the scripts needs to be launched from scribus even if the rest is automated
>
> The best we could have would be a real source management, we are talking
> about it for a while.
>
> Do you have any knowledge in python or C++ ?

I do know some Python and have an idea of what C++ is.

What you're suggesting is to have a python script run from within Scribus,
which for the usecase I have in mind is difficult because it requires quite
a lot of user interaction (start Scribus, open file etc.).

Is there no way to start a Scribus script from the command line? That
shouldn't be too hard, should it? I see it's tough to separate Qt and the
program logic, but that's not really necessary if all Scribus does is not
open a window and run a script. I would imagine something along the lines
of:

$ scribus --runscript "scripty.py"

All further arguments should go into the *argv vector of the script.

The idea, thus, would *not* be to make it fast. The idea is to make it work
without human intervention, so one could do the kind of stuff XML-FO does
with a WYSIWYG interface.

Love
Martin