[scribus-dev] Automated/Headless Publishing

"Ing. Jan Zelený" jz at janzeleny.cz
Mon May 28 17:43:46 UTC 2012

Dne 27.5.2012 23:29, Martin Meyerhoff napsal(a):
> Hi Cedric,
>
>     the easiest way i actually know is playing with python extensions. You
>     can grab your sources from any database type or file type (xml, csv or
>     whatever) anf then produce a basic layout from that and produce PDF. But
>     the scripts needs to be launched from scribus even if the rest is
>     automated
>
>     The best we could have would be a real source management, we are talking
>     about it for a while.
>
>     Do you have any knowledge in python or C++ ?
>

> I do know some Python and have an idea of what C++ is.
>
> What you're suggesting is to have a python script run from within
> Scribus, which for the usecase I have in mind is difficult because it
> requires quite a lot of user interaction (start Scribus, open file etc.).
>
> Is there no way to start a Scribus script from the command line? That
> shouldn't be too hard, should it? I see it's tough to separate Qt and
> the program logic, but that's not really necessary if all Scribus does
> is not open a window and run a script. I would imagine something along
> the lines of:
>
> $ scribus --runscript "scripty.py"
>
> All further arguments should go into the *argv vector of the script.
>
> The idea, thus, would *not* be to make it fast. The idea is to make it
> work without human intervention, so one could do the kind of stuff
> XML-FO does with a WYSIWYG interface.

Hi Martin,
I have modified scribus in a similar way you describe and I can tell you
it's not easy, there are still quite some difficulties with message
boxes. In my case I manage to prepare documents I want to process in a
way that ensures no message boxes will be emitted.

If you are interested, I can send you the patch, but it's not exactly
"clean code", it's more of an ugly hack. Currently I'm trying to do some
modifications in scribus core which will lead to entirely headless
scribus but it will take some time to finish this, it's quite complicated.

Thanks
Jan