[scribus-dev] Text-formatting

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Jul 12 23:09:19 UTC 2012

On 07/12/2012 12:26 PM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi britta,
>> I dont understand how text-formatting works??
>>
>> In InDesign the formatting dont depend of what the box is set to - in
>> Scribus - if I have changed 5 lines to an other font and an other
>> size - set a return, I go back to the box setup, and I have to get
>> new font and size again - crazy !
>>
>> or am I doing something wrong - I have tried many many things
> at first, i wanted to tell you that you should have posted your
> request to the scribus list and not the development one (this one is
> the scribus-dev list, the list for the people interested in the
> development of scribus).
>

> BUT:
>

> you're not doing anything wrong...
>
> and technically speaking, scribus is not doing anything wrong, either.
>
> this is an issue with the way the text frame currently work in scribus
> and i'm glad that the devs see that people are going crazy because of
> this (well, i'm not glad that YOU are going crazy...)
>
> the workardound -- as you may already have found -- is to never start
> from the first char nor from the last char.
> set the pointer to the second or the one before the last one and start
> from there and then remove the extra chars
> if you do this you will lose productivity, but at least you will not
> go crazy :-)
>

> if you're interested in details i can tell you why this happens... but
> it may be tedious for you...
> if somebody reading this is interested in fixing it, i can give some
> ideas on how to fix it...

I used to be that there was more sensible behavior in various ways. In
the past, if I was typing with a particular font set (Story Editor or
Edit Contents) and pressed return, I did not have a reversion to the
default font.
Here is some other behavior which I don't think makes sense: I start a
new document, make a text frame, then go to File > Document Setup and
change the default font for text frames. When I go back to the text
frame I not only don't have my original default font, I don't have the
new one I have chosen! Furthermore, when I then make a new text frame,
it goes back to the original default font. Anyway you look at it, these
behaviors shouldn't happen.

I think it starts with answering the questions about what behavior
should be expected before someone goes and "fixes" the code, since
they're liable to make bad choices.