[scribus-dev] Text-formatting

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Jul 12 23:29:05 UTC 2012

On 07/12/2012 07:09 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> I think it starts with answering the questions about what behavior
> should be expected before someone goes and "fixes" the code, since
> they're liable to make bad choices.
We've discussed this before, but I think there could be something we
might call auto-styles, which in essence keeps a list of particular as
yet unnamed character styles already used in a document, which might
include font, its size, and perhaps some other features like kerning.

It would something like this. I am working in a document, highlight some
text, or as I get ready to enter some text, I make some changes in font,
size, etc. As soon as I have entered some text with these features, this
gets saved as an unnamed character style, so that if I go to some other
frame I can call up these settings without needed to create a character
style or make the settings manually all over again.

An alternative might be to be able to go back to some text, place the
cursor somewhere in the middle of it, and then be able to click a button
that makes a character style from the settings at that location, without
needing to use the Edit Styles dialog, all I have to do is to give it a
name. Similarly, if that text already has a named character style, I see
that name so I know what to select somewhere else. Is there a way to do
away with the terms Default Character Style or Default Paragraph Style?
These are very uninformative.