[scribus-dev] cloud Scribus

Dave Hall humanpenguin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:09:52 UTC 2011

New here but thought id express an opinion.

It really depends what you mean by cloud app. I assume you mean
something running on a server with a web/app based front end/ui. ala
Google docs etc.

I can only really see the value of that in a DTP enviroment if you
also have some form of community management.

Think SVN/GIT style management for large documents allowing multiple
contributers to place work within the document.

I had a couple of friends who ran a independent Mobile Phone shop. The
used to advertise in these little local money off magazines that get
posted. The process of buying a slot forwarding the required adverts
changing editing etc. Not quick and simple.

Such a process I can see finding real value in a DTP suite that
allowed the sales person to.

* Provisionally book a slot in the next release.
* Load a document in multiple formats to display to the customer.
* or Create and edit a basic layout of the advert to be finished later
by more skilled artist.
* Cancel or confirm the space.

If a salesperson had a tool that allowed all this on a local laptop /
tablet I could see that software having value to 1000s of small
publishers around the world.

I can even see value for it in a small scale for an author creating
books etc as the travel or work.

If scribus is the right platform to build this on that I am far to new
here to have an opinion on.

-- Dave Hall- Hi by the way.