[scribus-dev] Preparations for GSoC

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:34:52 UTC 2011

Hi again,

2011/5/17 Elvis Stansvik <elvstone at gmail.com>:
> 2011/5/17 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>:
>> On 05/17/2011 04:00 PM, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Craig,

>>> Good, then I'll put a mental "approved" stamp on that idea.
>>>
>>> I'll also try to summarize the outcome of this thread and update my
>>> wiki page with its conclusions.
>>
>> Hopefully, there can also be something for the user, who would now say, "Now
>> what do I do with this overflowing table?". I would hope he could chop off
>> rows and paste somewhere else, maybe even join to the next sub-table.
>
> Yes, I'll try to come up with a good solution for this, in lieu of
> properly linked table frames as discussed above. Who knows, maybe I'll
> have time left to actually take a shot at linked table frames before
> summer is over. But I prioritize getting the basics done first. But a
> way to transfer a range of rows to a new table is definitely something
> that should be possible.

So to conclude this thread, first of all thank you all for taking your
time to answer.

I've now incorporated most of the ideas discussed here in my wiki
page, which I've moved to

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/GSoC_2011_Tables_Design

I also took the liberty of making a subcategory to the Development
category called "Tables" and put all table development related pages I
could find into this category, including my own.

I've also created a set of mockups of the most common table editing
operations and put them on the wiki page. For those who have the time,
please take a look at them and see if there's something you find
strange.

While summarizing the thread, I also came to think of another thing;
how do we want the table width to react when the table frame is
resized? Should it follow the frame width, or should the width of the
table be completely independent of the frame width? Or should there be
something similar to what we have for images ("To Frame Size" in the
Scaling properties)?

And should there be no way for the user to resize both the width and
height of the table and have the row heights and column widths follow
proportionally? Isn't that a valid use case?

So still some questions to work out regarding the interaction design.
But we're doing good progress.

Best regards,
Elvis