[scribus-dev] Preparations for GSoC

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed May 18 16:05:30 UTC 2011

hi

> While summarizing the thread, I also came to think of another thing;
> how do we want the table width to react when the table frame is
> resized? Should it follow the frame width, or should the width of the
> table be completely independent of the frame width? Or should there be
> something similar to what we have for images ("To Frame Size" in the
> Scaling properties)?
>
> And should there be no way for the user to resize both the width and
> height of the table and have the row heights and column widths follow
> proportionally? Isn't that a valid use case?

personally, when i create a table there are good chances that i want to have full control on the size of the cells. this is even more true in a DTP context.

i won't define the cells one by one, but i will tend to have a fixed width for the columns and a fixed height for the rows (not all the rows and columns being equal, of course... but probably most of them).

so, to me, it's very important to be able to easily redefine widths and heights. on the other hand, an automatic resize will rather make my work harder than facilitate it.

of course, there should be an easy way to import tables from *office (where the cells automatically grow) and it should be possible to make the cells fit from the scripter (for tables created from csv files; and we already have a way to test for overflowing text...).

finally, when the table is resized, i'd prefer to see a "gray" area which invites me to resize the columns or the rows (i could imagine a context menu on the "gray" area which lets me equally or proportionally distribute the exceeding / missing width to each column or resize just one specific column).

and, of course, this is my own personal opinion!

ciao
a.l.e