[scribus-dev] GSoC 2011 idea

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Jan 27 14:57:33 CET 2011

On 01/27/2011 08:16 AM, Николай Шафоростов wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I know of a case when people switched to InDesign after almost a year of Scribus usage because Scribus lacks support for real tables (with automatic flow over several pages and other layouting stuff).
>
> So I propose this feature as an idea for GSoC 2011.
>

> P.S. Also i would like to bring your attention to http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8308 (memory usage optimizing patch).
> It took me some time to write it, and now it is discouraging that it still is not applied w/o any strong reason.

You might add this table idea to this page, which is waiting for
people's suggestions:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/GSoC_2011_Ideas

In the past, it has been thought (IIRC) that doing a new version of
tables would be too great a job for GSoC, because of the timeframe and
skill required.

Tables need to become a new kind of object and really rebuilt from the
ground up, so that it can allow for importing CSV and other sorts of
data easily. Also having an easy way to navigate through the cells, and
doing table-wide formatting (of all features, text, lines,
background...) are much needed. If it can't do these things, it just
will not live up to people's expectations.