[scribus-dev] GSoC 2011 idea

O. Moskalenko malex at scribus.info
Thu Jan 27 16:23:53 CET 2011

* Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> [2011-01-27 08:57:33 -0500]:

> On 01/27/2011 08:16 AM, Николай Шафоростов wrote:
> >Hi all.
> >
> >I know of a case when people switched to InDesign after almost a year of Scribus usage because Scribus lacks support for real tables (with automatic flow over several pages and other layouting stuff).
> >
> >So I propose this feature as an idea for GSoC 2011.
> >

> >P.S. Also i would like to bring your attention to http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8308 (memory usage optimizing patch).
> >It took me some time to write it, and now it is discouraging that it still is not applied w/o any strong reason.
>
> You might add this table idea to this page, which is waiting for
> people's suggestions:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/GSoC_2011_Ideas
>
> In the past, it has been thought (IIRC) that doing a new version of
> tables would be too great a job for GSoC, because of the timeframe
> and skill required.
>
> Tables need to become a new kind of object and really rebuilt from
> the ground up, so that it can allow for importing CSV and other
> sorts of data easily. Also having an easy way to navigate through
> the cells, and doing table-wide formatting (of all features, text,
> lines, background...) are much needed. If it can't do these things,
> it just will not live up to people's expectations.
>
> Greg

A complete and polished implementation of tables might be out of scope for a
gsoc project, but the scope can be defined more narrowly. If the team members
get involved in the planning process the requirements and the general
structure of the new table implementation could be defined and a gsoc project
could come out of it.