[scribus-dev] Paragraph Indentation Options in Scribus

Aidas Žandaris aidas.zandaris at mii.vu.lt
Wed Aug 10 06:49:15 UTC 2011

On 2011.08.10, at 00:20, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> On 08/09/2011 05:00 PM, Aidas Žandaris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> In Scribus window Properties (Text tab) not included any Paragraph Indentation option:
>>     First Line Indent
>>     Right [paragraph] indent
>>     Left [paragraph] Indent
>>     Space below [paragraph]
>>     Space above [paragraph]
>>
>> May be you discussed about this?...
>>
>> Very very inconvenient work is with Scribus, when user want to made any small changes in some paragraph indentation...
>> For each exception user must to define New Paragraph Style... No any exception... May be you know other way?
>> In all my used desktop publishing systems (Indesign, QuarkXPress, ...) and Office programs (Word, OpenOffice.org etc.) very useful is Indentation Options...
>>

> It seems to me when you're doing these things you are applying a paragraph style, but you're saying you want to apply a unique nameless style, perhaps numerous times.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that you can import styles from other documents. You might even create a document empty except for containing a list of styles you could import, use, modify slightly, or delete as desired.

Yes,  i talked about nameless (or named but modified) style for only one text paragraph, i.e. about exception in layout.
Making layouts using styles is easy and we recommend it to students. But the the layout is not a technical thing with all strict formal rules.
Making layout is an art, rather than a technical job. Complex layouts often need many very small and different exceptions.
Suggestion to work only with styles is incorrect. And it discourages potential users of Scribus.
Good layouts need a lot of small exceptions. But every time the exceptions are still different (in the same layout). If the exception is the same and they need oftentimes,
your suggestion is right. We need to create (or import) another paragraph style. But if the exception found in one or two times, then the creation of a new style or import another style that is really bad advice. :)))

Aidas