[scribus-dev] Who is going to kill the style dialog ?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 14:39:11 CET 2010

2010/11/1 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>

> On 11/01/2010 06:39 AM, a.l.e wrote:
>
>> ciao louis,
>>
>> see this case:
>>
>> - you have a paragraph you want to use as style
>>
>> - you create a style out of it (just by being prompted a name: that's ok)
>>
>> - you then change the kerning of the paragraph to better fit the text
>>
>> - you change the font
>>
>> - you fix the kerning again
>>
>> - now you want to update the style you have first created by using the
>> new font
>>
>> - as you update the style (or create a new based on the current
>> paragraph) the kerning information will be included.
>>
>> - you just wanted to update /store the font change... and now you're
>> upset.
>>

>> or am i mistaken?
>>

> Yes, I think this is a big problem with some simple right-clicking
> operation. What are you right-clicking on? a word? a letter? a sentence? a
> paragraph? an entire text frame?

2 things. It’s either a paragraph and thus you only need your cursor to be
anywhere on the paragraph. Or it’s a selection and you can either apply a
character style or a paragraph style (the paragraph style will of course
apply to the whole paragraph, that is, between the 2 returns). When you
right-click, you are in one of those situations.

> If you can imagine a paragraph with its style, and inside it there are
> blocks of text having character styles, if you change the paragraph style,
> does it override all the character styles?

The paragraph style will have no effect on the character style. The
paragraph style will be marked with a plus sign showing that there is local
settings there but if it is defined as a char style this style will remain
as it is.

Louis