[scribus-dev] visual update for 1.4

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 18:51:18 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM, David Bolack wrote:

>> Scribus has an outright eclectic icon set. This is result of years and
>> years or literally everybody contributing to it. This is not
>
> This is not disputed by anyone ( okay, perhaps the way things came to be,
> but not the need for the overhaul. )

I'd love to have a dispute on how things came to be, offlist if
possible to keep env clean. Always had a soft spot for funny theories
on alternative history.

>> I really don't care if you agree with that or not, because the way to
>> create software that inspires is to always make it better in every
>> single aspect, including visual appeal and visual consistence. People
>> who are not trained to do design are rarely able to produce appealing
>> and consistent results in masses. Take it from the sucker who did
>> those disgusting text formatting icons back in 2004 or so.
>
> You work on the assumption that the codemonkeys are not designers.

I don't think of Scribus developers as of codemonkeys. Maybe you do,
but then I'm blessed to not be you.

> As though these are mutually exclusive skillsets.

They usually are. And besides if you make an effort of actually
reading things you respond to, you will discover phrases such as, let
me repeat it, "rarely able to". This is so not mutually exclusive. You
only had to read. Of course, I respect you right to jump at
conclusions.

> That is patently absurd.

Try thinking in context. It really helps. And today's context is Scribus.

> The only sin worse than no overhaul is a bad one. The icons might be an
> "easy" thing to incorporate, but you know very well there is more involved
> here than just dropping in some new icons.

You mentioned coding. I'd love to hear about that one.

>> No, it's a very nearly scientific extrapolation from the past. Which
>> always has lessons for those willing to learn.
>
> You lack faith. I get that. I doubt that's solvable.

Oh, I do believe in fairies. Clap. Clap.

Dear David, you are boring. I'll be glad to teach you how to not jump
at conclusions, but, for the love of God, _offlist_. Just let me know.
Reading lessons included.

Bottom line: 1.5/1.6 will get icon set update for sure, 1.4 only if
Tango designers show up (a mail is already sent) and do it in time
(two-three months from now).

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org