[scribus-dev] visual update for 1.4

David Bolack dbolack at electricmulch.com
Mon Dec 6 18:29:16 CET 2010

On 12/06/2010 10:49 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> Do you really want me to go for bastard mode again?
> I can spread that with a shovel, you know.

So far you've not gotten into crotchety grandma territory. I think I can
handle it.

> Scribus has an outright eclectic icon set. This is result of years and
> years or literally everybody contributing to it. This is not

This is not disputed by anyone ( okay, perhaps the way things came to
be, but not the need for the overhaul. )

> I really don't care if you agree with that or not, because the way to
> create software that inspires is to always make it better in every
> single aspect, including visual appeal and visual consistence. People
> who are not trained to do design are rarely able to produce appealing
> and consistent results in masses. Take it from the sucker who did
> those disgusting text formatting icons back in 2004 or so.

You work on the assumption that the codemonkeys are not designers. As
though these are mutually exclusive skillsets. That is patently absurd.

> Oh yes, I can see how comitting some new PNG files to SVN is a major
> task that requires years and years of programming in C++.

Years? No.

The only sin worse than no overhaul is a bad one. The icons might be an
"easy" thing to incorporate, but you know very well there is more
involved here than just dropping in some new icons.

> No, it's a very nearly scientific extrapolation from the past. Which
> always has lessons for those willing to learn.

You lack faith. I get that. I doubt that's solvable.