[scribus-dev] visual update for 1.4

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon Dec 6 17:55:38 CET 2010

hi alexandre,

> We are going to live with 1.4 quite long. I can feel it in my water.
> The whole history of Scribus tells me I'm right. So I fail to see how
> improving visual look of what we are going to recommend as stable
> version is going to be baaaad, especially neither you nor anybody else
> in the team is going to work on that design.

i'm currently working with interaction designers and designers to get
the UI of scribus right. this includes new and better icons (and -- most
of all -- using the same icon for the same meaning!).
and you know about it.

but we are working on 1.5. doing one step after the other.
and we plan to work with the tango crew as soon as there are things to do.
so, if you are asserting that nobody is doing it for 1.4 you're right.
if you're telling us that nobody is working on the UI design, well, it's
not the case.

also, you're certainly right, that if we look at the past trends, we
can't expect 1.6 to be released before 2020 but i really hope that
external pressure may help things go a bit faster (i'm thinking of a
bilion of indians and arabs wanting to work with scribus). and, yes, i
believe in miracles! (well, not really... but i sometimes try to believe
in them...)
and as you certainly remember, in wroclaw the team has promised to make
faster releases! we don't even need a change of paradigma, they only
need to enforce their own rules, and we're there!

finally, there are already books out in the wild which target 1.3.8 with
the idea that they will cover 1.4... not sure if it's a good idea to
make big changes to the Scribus UI after the beta status has been launched.
and the 1.4 online documentation has already been mostly (i hope) done:
do they really need to redo all screenshots?

my conclusion? you're certainly free to get new icons for 1.4, but i'm
just not sure if it's the right time for it and if this change would
send the right signals.

have a nice evening
a.l.e