[scribus-dev] Editable Master Pages

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Tue Aug 5 16:59:30 CEST 2008

> > > 4. To disconnect an item from the master page and use it only on
> > > the current page, one could use the "Send to Layer" feature: Each
> > > document has at least one layer, so that sending the item to
> > > "Background" (or any other layer in the current document) should be
> > > enough to remove the item from the master page.
> >
> > That's unintuitive I think.
> >
> > If properly documented, I think this would be rather intuitive, because
> > it simply extends the concept of layers (see my reply to Greg).
>
> Paradoxal. Intuitive means one can figure out the feature by oneself,
> without reading the manual. At least for experienced users.

No. In DTP, nothing is "intuitive". Just remember the many questions regarding very basic operations. "Intuitive" in this context means that there's one way to do it in a certain program (here: the many page features and layers), which can also be followed with other features (master pages).

> Also, layers may be well used in image editing but in DTP, believe me, they
> are not. And I doubt this is going to change. People might get the concept
> rapidly (after all, a layer is a layer and this is easy to catch) but they
> often don't have a clue about the real use and benefits ? and drawbacks, of
> course, of layers.

They are used a lot, of course. I don't know of you, but for testing bugs I must have downloaded dozens of sla files, and I guess 40% of them contained layers.

> Christoph, I have a hard time keeping track of who says what. Can you make
> sure when you post and answer like this that the chunks you are responding
> to are clearly identified?

 Sure :)

Christoph
Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx