[scribus-dev] Label Templates

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Aug 2 17:33:09 CEST 2008

Christoph Schäfer wrote:
> Hi I already sent this email to the dev list some time ago, but looking at the archive, it doesn't seem to have arrived.
>
>  I finally found a way to easily (more or less) create business card and label templates via OO.o. It's still a lot of manual work, but I think I could produce a complete set (Avery A4, Avery A4 Asia, Avery Letter Size, Avery Zweckform, Herlitz, Herma A4, Herma A5, Herma endlos, Leitz and Sigel) with, I suppose, more than 200 templates. I could also create the XML file for the template browser. Upside: lots of feature requests less. Downside: ~ 10 MB extra size (uncompressed) for the Scribus package. If we could find a way to install them easily after the basic Scribus install, that could be an alternative.
>
> Note that it would only work for 1.3.5+.
>
> What do you think?

I think we need more templates, for sure. I wonder if it would be
helpful to have a template-generating script (or multiple scripts) for
things like you mention. This would/should lower the overhead. At 10MB,
it seems that this should definitely be a separate option, and ideally,
one should be able to pick and choose -- maybe something on the wiki to
point to the file and show (if needed) what it is.

I use Avery labels quite a bit and years ago devised some LaTeX
templates, but from time to time have considered switching to Scribus.
It should be much easier to work with Scribus than LaTeX.