[scribus] Installing Scribus 1.4.8 on Ubuntu-based Linux OS

Mattia Rizzolo mattia at mapreri.org
Thu Mar 3 15:57:31 UTC 2022

On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 09:41:18AM -0500, Geoffrey Dow wrote:
> I'm running an old piece of hardware that *really* balked when I installed
> 1.5.5 and 1.5.6 alike, so I want to return to 1.4 in order to lay out a
> novel.

The problem is that scribus 1.4.x requirer some pieces that are nowadays
considered very old and deprecated, so to not get mad you'd need also an
older version of ubuntu (or whatever you mean with "ubuntu-based").

In particular, ubuntu 20.04 is no good, just looking at LTSs you'd be
stuck with 18.04, and if that's acceptable to you, then you can get it
from the PPA ppa:scribus/ppa.

Otherwise, I don't know, did anybody prepare an appimage/snap/something
with 1.4.8 that can run in something more recent?
I recommend against trying to forward-port qt4 into ubuntu 20.04,
although possible, that can easily end badly if mismanaged.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :