[scribus] text-flow gets changed by 1.5.8

Martin Zaske LINGO martin.zaske at lingo-benin.org
Thu Feb 17 17:37:12 UTC 2022

Hi list

I was getting help recently, while "hacking" a quick calendar with
tab-stops. I opened it a few days later, once more, and made a second
version. My document was made with version 1.5.7.

This was after I had just installed version 1.5.8 (on Windows 10 pro,
64bit). The layout had changed some, text inside a text-frame had
shifted. Since I had done some hacking (as explained in my last thread)
I blamed myself and quickly re-edited to make things align again.

Today it happened again, but in a "good document", i.e. everything
vanilla, no hacking: We are redesigning our magazine, moving from A3
page size to A4 and making spin-off versions for smart-phone screen
proportions.

I had started a sample template a few weeks ago. Now I have installed
version 1.5.8 and again, I notice that text in my sample article has
been shifted.

I am using nothing fancy, two text-frames (as two columns) next to each
other on each page, with links between the frames. There are photos on
another layer above the texts and I am using the "text flows around
contour line" option. I still have both versions on my machine and I
made two identical copies and open them at the same time: Look
different. Not a font issue, not a Windows issue as far as I can tell.

After more searching and opening the two identical copies of my file
with swapped Scribus versions I have confirmed the problem. Now after
some searching I can say, it is caused by different "interpretation" of
my main text style by the versions.

I am using justified text with Fira Sans, Align to Baseline Grid,
Optical Margins both sides, Advanced Settings: Min Space 80%, Glyph
extension Min 95%, Max 105% (do not yell at me, early days) and nothing
fancy in the Character Style tab of my style definition. The text is in
an African language and (automatic) hyphenation is not activated.

So when I open my document in different versions, somehow my text via
style (alignment) gets rendered a little different than before. This is
affecting only certain lines, maybe one line every ten lines and I
cannot say it is "more dense" in 1.5.8, some paratexts get a little
longer. But the changes are still too much to allow a good work-flow.
And in our office we use Windows and Linux machines and all versions are
1.5.x but at different stages always.

Now before I spend a lot of time with research: Have other users noticed
that same behaviour?: Text-layout or text-flow changes between versions
1.5.7 and 1.5.8 in Windows?

Is this "allowed" behaviour in the 1.5 series? I am aware this is free
software and my mail is not a complaint. I was just under the
impressions (false?) that within one series like 1.5.x files or Scribus
would remain compatible.

With any normal small project, I would just quickly fix it and be done.
But since we are preparing an entire re-design, I am now nervous about
this as you can imagine.

Normally I cannot easily share documents because of data protection and
copyrights etc. But since I have only done the very first draft-steps
and I only have used free photos from Pixabay, I could upload somewhere
if anybody would be interested to test.

Thank you for your help and greetings,

Martin

--
courriel par Martin Zaske, membre de :

LINGO-Bénin
B.P. 48
Bassila
Rep. du Bénin

Tel. 00229 / 97.44.62.95
Tel. 00229 / 62.58.04.48

Organisation Non Gouvernementale
Decret No. 2001-234 du 12 juillet 2001
No. d'enregistrement 6/033/P-SG STCCD-DCDI-ONG
du 05 septembre 2012

Numéro IFU: 6201702245702

www.lingo-benin.org