[scribus] Scribus becoming un-useable with a magazine

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Sun Oct 17 20:37:23 UTC 2021

Le 15/10/2021 à 17:36, Jeroen Baten a écrit :
> As an example: I commissioned someone to convert a marketing brandbook for an open source project to Scribus.
> In the end he had to split the 78 pages into 3 separate pdf's because of crashes.

Scribus almost never crashes when i use it so i'm surprised.

Maybe this is because i dont use the features that crash or bug
because i know them and i know i shouldnt use them
and i dont really need them neither : footnotes, marks...

As far as i can remember, when i started the Scribus Project Manager
it was not too much for size, speed or crashes issue,
but mainly to get around style management shortcomings
that happen when copy'n'pasting text across documents,
and or when importing other scribus documents parts.

> The public repo for your experiments can be found here:
> https://gitlab.com/ubports/teams/marketing/mplus/marketing-materials/-/tree/master/Brandbook/contentpack

I downloaded your documents and played a bit with them.
I merged them in a single document and edited layout and images a bit
and produced the pdf.
As for now i have not had any issue working on the resulting 60 pages long document
and scribus is not slow at it because your document is not very complex :

My computer is not specialy powerfull : i bought it 800€ or 900€ a couple of years ago,
not even the price of an iPhone gadget !
So there might be something wrong with your commissioned DTP guy's computer.
Scribus is meant for professional DTP work, so its consistant to expect the user to have some minimum machine.

Or maybe this is related with his OS ? I'm using Ubuntu 20.10.
Maybe he's on windows or Mac and scribus doesnt run so well on these OS as it runs on linux ?

Maybe also it's with your commissionned way of working :
While testing your files, i noticed that quite a lot of images are more than 4000 dpi.
Scribus warns when exporting the PDF and is right to do so
because >4000 dpi is verrrrrry high and useless...
all the more since the export is set to 100 dpi !!!

Maybe your commissionned guy would had a more pleasant experience with scribus
when he had reduced image dimensions so as to keep a usefull dpi with absolutely no quality loss.
That's quite basic and it might have avoided him to crash and have to split the SLA document in 3 parts ?

Also I see the document uses layers and i know layers to be slowwwww when they have special blend modes.

Hard to say.
AMOF "crash" is not precise for any diagnose and precise help.

> I am in contact with a sponsor willing to pay someone to fix this so the quality of open source software increases.

That's interesting !
IMO there are lots of features where scribus needs improving
and I hope you can find somebody to improve scribus.

But it'll need more detailed report.
What precise operation(s) do crash ?
Can you provide a backtrace log for a/each situation where it crashes ?
Read https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_debug_for_reporting

JL