[scribus] Can paragraphs have lines?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Nov 4 00:35:17 UTC 2021

On 11/3/21 07:59, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> Just trying to find a way to add a single line to the bottom of a paragraph style. Haven't found a way to achieve this.
>
> The line should go from left to right over the complete line length or text frame width. Optimum would be if I could define the distance from text to line.
>
> Is there a way to make such a thing?

Hi Rolf,

Here is a rather clumsy workaround that I figured out, and I have to say, it's not very intuitive how to do this. Admittedly, it's a rather manual operation.

Once you have your text line length settled, create a horizontal line of the right thickness and width. Now, right-click on the line and select Send to > Inline Items.

Now proceed with your text and either as you go, or after your text is finished, double-click inside the frame on the line where you wish the line to be placed. From the menu, click Windows > Inline Items. A small window appears which should have your "inline line" in it. Right-click on the item, and choose Paste to Item, and your line will be inserted into the text frame. You may need to select Center justification for this line.

A variant of this which you might find more efficient would be to create your inline item, paste it once into your frame, changing justification as needed, then end Edit Contents Mode, and open Story Editor. There you will see an "@" symbol where this inline item has been placed. Highlight this "@", press Ctrl+C (to copy), then move down your text to the next line where you want your line to be placed (adding lines as needed), and press Ctrl+V to paste to that line. You can then efficiently move through your text, and even switch to other text frames, open Story Editor, and paste in these as well.

One thing which editing a Paragraph Style may be helpful for is in adjusting the space between paragraphs, realizing that this inline item will itself be a paragraph.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you're not following this process.

Greg