[scribus] Outlining fonts

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Jan 23 23:08:52 UTC 2021

On 1/23/21 4:48 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> For many years, I've been using Scribus to create a weekly newsletter, for an APA I'm a involved with.  Until recently, I embedded the fonts I was using when creating the .pdf, because I use Linux, and the person printing them out and collating the APA uses Windows.  A few months ago, this stopped working and I had to switch to outlining the fonts instead, which not only works fine, it creates a much smaller file.
>
> However, the official collator has been arguing that outlining a font means that each letter is hollow and that it can't possibly have the effect that it clearly does have.  (He's more than a tad narrow minded in general, so for him this isn't unusual.)  I'd appreciate it if somebody could explain just what the term means in this context so that I can 'splain things to him and everybody else in the APA.  Thanx in advance for any useful information you can get to me.

Hi Joe,

My sense of this is that this represents a defect in the printer's software. There should be no downside with outlining fonts (this of course depending on how good a job Scribus does, and this seems to be no problem), except that, as far as I know, you give up the possibility of exporting the content of a PDF as text, since what is in the PDF file is just a graphical representation of the text of the document.

Greg