[scribus] Paragraph Separator and Newline Both Showing as \r in Python

Matt Miller matt.miller at fastmail.com
Fri Dec 31 01:49:57 UTC 2021

I'm loading a text frame from a utf-8 encoded text file, and within my Scribus Python code I want to search for the standard newline character, ascii value 10. When I see an ascii 10 as the line separator I want to apply a special paragraph style to the following paragraph. Most paragraphs end with the Unicode paragraph separator character, \u2029, and in those cases the default paragraph style is fine.

My problem is that both these types of characters are matching '\r' when I use re.search in python. also, if I select either line separator character, then do getText(), I get a '\r' no matter what. I've confirmed that my file encoding is utf-8. What am I missing? How can I search for a simple '\n' character?

--

  Matt Miller
  mailto:matt.miller at fastmail.com