[scribus] Punctuation Trimmed from PDF

Matt Miller matt.miller at fastmail.com
Thu Aug 5 19:29:02 UTC 2021

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021, at 08:57, Matt Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2021, at 06:13, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> > On 8/4/21 8:19 PM, Matt Miller wrote:
> > > https://biblestudy.tools/tmp/Punctuation-Trimmed-from-Output.zip
> > >
> > > The above link shows a generated PDF where on page one punctuation characters at the right end of some of the lines of the right-hand text frame are chopped off on the right.  Pages two and three of the PDF do not show this problem.  Comparing pages one and three of the .sla I see that the right-hand text frames have the same width and the same x pos, so I don't know why only page one shows this problem.
> > >
> > > Locations on page one showing this chopped punctuation:
> > >  * Chapter one verse twenty-six, the third line should end with a comma.
> > >  * Chapter one verse thirty, the second line should end with a comma.
> > >  * Chapter two verse two, the first line should end with a semicolon.
> > >  * Chapter two verse three, the second line should end with a period.
> > > One location on page three showing the problem is not present is chapter five, verse nineteen, line one.  At the far right end there's a comma that is not cut off in the PDF.
> > >

> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > Looking at your PDF, I can see that these punctuation marks are there,
> > but they're indistinct. You might try tweaking the width of the frame
> > just a bit on that page to see if they become more visible/darker with
> > a very slightly wider frame.
>
> That did fix the problem.  I added about a tenth of an inch to the
> frame width then everything looks fine.  I'll think I'll go with that
> solution for now.

After more testing I was able to fix the problem even more cleanly.  Since the problem was only on page one, I deleted the page one frames, copied working frames from page three, fixed up the frame chain, and everything was good.  All punctuation renders completely, optical margins are on for all frames, and all frames have exactly the same width.

So, I don't know what was wrong with those original page one frames, but there's apparently no Scribus bug involved here.

Thanks for everyone's help.