[scribus] Punctuation Trimmed from PDF

Matt Miller matt.miller at fastmail.com
Thu Aug 5 15:57:21 UTC 2021

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021, at 06:13, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 8/4/21 8:19 PM, Matt Miller wrote:
> > https://biblestudy.tools/tmp/Punctuation-Trimmed-from-Output.zip
> >
> > The above link shows a generated PDF where on page one punctuation characters at the right end of some of the lines of the right-hand text frame are chopped off on the right.  Pages two and three of the PDF do not show this problem.  Comparing pages one and three of the .sla I see that the right-hand text frames have the same width and the same x pos, so I don't know why only page one shows this problem.
> >
> > Locations on page one showing this chopped punctuation:
> >  * Chapter one verse twenty-six, the third line should end with a comma.
> >  * Chapter one verse thirty, the second line should end with a comma.
> >  * Chapter two verse two, the first line should end with a semicolon.
> >  * Chapter two verse three, the second line should end with a period.
> > One location on page three showing the problem is not present is chapter five, verse nineteen, line one.  At the far right end there's a comma that is not cut off in the PDF.
> >

> Hi Matt,
>
> Looking at your PDF, I can see that these punctuation marks are there,
> but they're indistinct. You might try tweaking the width of the frame
> just a bit on that page to see if they become more visible/darker with
> a very slightly wider frame.

That did fix the problem.  I added about a tenth of an inch to the frame width then everything looks fine.  I'll think I'll go with that solution for now.

Also, I see that turning off the "Optical Margins" setting on the frame fixes the problem, too.  However, I think I'll keep that setting on throughout my document, and just adjust this one frame's width.  Not sure if there's a bug causing this.  Maybe I'll file a bug report on it if I don't see anything else that's causing it.  I use 1.5.8svn, but I did see the problem in 1.5.7, too.