[scribus] Problem embedding fonts in pdf and workaround

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Oct 24 23:57:48 UTC 2020

Just this week, my copy of Scribus 1.4.6 (the most recent version
provided for Fedora 31) failed to embed the three fonts needed to render
my newsletter correctly.  No matter what I did, it would only embed the
highlighted one, and if I tried to embed a different font, it would
simply replace the listed font with that one.  And, as I use Linux, and
the person printing it out has Windows, his machine had to make
substitutions.  No only were its choices bad, they rendered very pale,
which is, I presume, an artifact of his computer and OS.

Last night, I made an experiment: I made a new pdf of that file, but
instead of embedding the fonts, I outlined them and sent it off.  Not
only did that work, it lowered the size of the file from almost 650 KB
to 47 KB, when I'd have expected the opposite.  In the future, I'll be
outlining fonts, because I'm old enough to remember when bandwidth was
rare and expensive, and still hate using it up for no good reason.