[scribus] Some Suggestions for Improvement

Tobias Hemm tobiashemm at mailbox.org
Thu Oct 22 12:52:38 UTC 2020

Am Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2020, 19:54:36 CEST schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> On 10/21/20 11:04 AM, Tobias Hemm wrote:
> > Dear Scribus team,
> >
> > I am an author, designer and publisher, and, since recently, I try Scribus for a book project.
> > Before that, I used LibreOffice Writer for many projects, but the typographic options are often too limited.
> >
> > I like Scribus very much, and I am surprised and delighted by what it can do (optical margins, options for space between words and glyph extension lead to a very good-looking justified text, far better than in LO Writer). But I ran into some downsides, which are probably not that difficult to improve. So that’s why I subscribed to your mailing list. I don’t want to complain and get angry about problems with free software and then dismiss it; instead, I thought it would be more productive to contribute to the development, as I see a lot of potential in Scribus.
> >
> > The following things are what I think can be improved:
> >
> > *(1) Resolution of the Displayed Document*
> > When I create a text frame and insert a text into it, this text is displayed in a very bad resolution, meaning the letters are pixeled and simply not sharp or crisp. You can see this in the screenshot I attached to this mail.
> > The reason for this may be that I have a 4k monitor, and Scribus can maybe not yet deal with it.
> > When I export the document to a pdf file, everything is displayed optimally, of course. But this bad resolution is a downside while working on a document, since I don’t get an immediately realistic image and have to export the document very often.
> >

> Hi Tobias,
>
> I'm not seeing this at all. Even looking at 6pt text displayed at 500% magnification, I get no significant pixelization. (My monitor is 1600x900 resolution) It must be something about your computer or its function.
>
> Greg
>

> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Hi Greg,

this problem is not connected to font size or magnification, but to the rendering of the work space.
If I magnify the work space, the rendering of the font rather gets slightly better than worse.
My screenshot was only a slight magnification of the work space.
The bad rendering, by the way, also applies to images on the work space: In the normal view or preview mode,
they are badly rendered. But when I export a pdf file, everything is fine.

What makes you think it must be something with my computer or its function?
Since my assumption was that it has something to do with 4k compatibility of Scribus, I am surprised that you make such a quick judgment, considering the properties of your monitor. What leads you to this assumption?

I had this kind of problem with other programs too, and there the reason was that the user interface of the program – or part of it – wasn’t “4k-ready”.
Does someone of you have a 4k monitor and not have the problem I reported?
I use Kubuntu 20.04. But the operating system is also not the cause, as I just tested Scribus on my notebook (Full-HD screen) with Kubuntu, and the displayed fonts are perfect.

Tobias