[scribus] Scribus 1.5.5 (Debian/Testing) doesn't export link text to PDFs

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Jun 14 22:55:00 UTC 2020

On 6/14/20 4:46 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
> I'm having some problems with Scribus Generator but this one looks like it is with Scribus itself. I have Generator populate a text box with a website name and fill in the PDF annotation as the same text prefixed with http://. When I look at the text box and the PDF annotations, they seem to be OK - they contain what I expect.
>
> When I export the Scribus document to PDF, the lnks work but the text isn't there. I can click on where the text box is and it launches a new tab in my browser open at the correct address but there is no text to suggest that the expanse of white space is actually a link
>
> I'm pretty sure this isn't a Generator-produced error because I actually had to fix the first link (of two) on each page because Generator somehow filled both links with the second link's data. Or is there some setting I need to turn on in a PDF annotation to get it to display text?

Hi Gary,

When you create a text frame, make it a PDF Annotation as a web-link, then nothing shows up in it in the PDF. The way I have worked with this is to size the Annotation frame properly, then place the frame directly over the text in another text frame you want to serve as a visual for the link.

I think that converting some text beginning with http://... to a link is a function of the PDF reader/viewer, not something that has to do with Scribus.

Greg