[scribus] Scripts preferences ?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Jun 9 13:40:59 UTC 2020

On 6/9/20 7:27 AM, JLuc wrote:
> Le 09/06/2020 à 12:11, ale rimoldi a écrit :
>> the mail merge solution i've created works somehow in that way.
>> currently the configs are a sla-file-name.conf.json next to
>> sla-file.sla.
>
> I guess this is
> https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-script-repository/blob/master/mail-merge/mail-merge.py
>
> It provides nice function to merge defaults to config file values.
>
>> when i (or somebody else) adds a gui, i expect the gui to be able to
>> read and write the config file.
>
> Yes. That's still a missing part.

Hi JLuc,

Personally, I prefer that there is a generic script out there that can be used by a wide variety of users for a variety of purposes. If I wanted to streamline the operation, then I would make another version, which, for example, might only run in one language and have all the settings hard-coded rather than using dialogs, then call it autotypo_fr.py

The other thing I have done at times is to combine a series of dialogs asking for parameters into a single dialog, with defaults.
The default for autotypo could be
fr  1  O
and then the script uses the python split function to break this up for 3 responses.

If it's a script I use frequently, it can be beneficial to streamline it. On the other hand, if it's something I haven't used in a while, I like the reminders for what the defaults are as I go through. For scripts like this, Undo-ing the effects of the script is rather tedious, since there will likely be quite a number of Undos to do.

Greg