[scribus] Script for (french) thin typographic spaces

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Thu Jun 4 07:55:46 UTC 2020

Thank you JLuc,

for sharing your work. I tried out your script with a real text and it
works nicely.

I was puzzled by one question that popped up:
Voulez vous aussi appliquer ce traitement sur les double-guillemets
français déjà en place ?

I just had a browse through the code and found the English equivalent,
which is clearer to me.

So I submit this wording for your consideration:
Voulez vous aussi appliquer votre choix d'espaces sur les
double-guillemets français déjà en place ?

Personally, I find the thin-non-breaking spaces supplied with most fonts
rather wide. When used for French typography with the punctuation, it
gives very harsh results, especially where justification "makes it worse".

Just grabbed a few contemporary commercial books in French and was
surprised that indeed, those are just the same. From memory I thought
that commercial publications used to be tuned for nicer results.

Anyway, all this means, that with your tool, Scribus users can produce
correct French publications with much less manual work than before. Very
much appreciated.

Martin

PS: If you or anybody out there would know how to access the "Manual
Tracking" as seen in "Advanced Text Settings" for the Scripter API, then
I might have a go and hack the really useful script for my preference of
"just a really discreet space".

--
ZASKE Martin
responsable GʊGʊ