[scribus] Script for (french) thin typographic spaces

Victor / tokiop tor at tokiop.com
Tue Jun 2 12:57:58 UTC 2020

Le 02/06/2020 à 11:33, JLuc a écrit :
> Has somebody writtend a script to add thin typographic spaces where required for french ?
>
> (Before and/or after » « : ; ! etc)
>
> I've been planning to write a rough version of such a script someday
> (adapting the autoquote2 script)
> but it'd be great when it exists allready.
>
> JLuc

Hi JLuc and all,

running this in console, in Scribus 1.5.5, with text frame selected, seems to work for me.

It is reworked from a larger function so it is not tested much as is. Utf8 and regex is a bit tricky, not sure it is optimal as is, but thin space is correctly replaced before "»", which is not the case if utf8/regex is messed up.

It only replace existing spaces with thin spaces, does not add missing spaces. Also, formatting will probably be lost, maybe autoquote does things better to prevent this, didn't check yet.

Hope it can help, will be interested in a solid function too !

Victor

---- 8< ----
#!/usr/bin/env python3
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

import re

thin_space = u"\u2009"
thin_nbsp = u"\u202F"

thin_before = "!?;:%»)"
re_thin_before = re.compile(ur'\s([%s])'%thin_before)

thin_after = "«("
re_thin_after = re.compile(ur'([%s])\s'%thin_after)

def traitement_typo(text) :
	text = re_thin_before.sub(thin_nbsp+ur"\1", text)
	text = re_thin_after.sub(ur"\1"+thin_nbsp, text)
	return text

def main() :
	frame = scribus.getSelectedObject(0)
	text = scribus.getAllText(frame).decode("utf-8")
	scribus.setText(traitement_typo(text), frame)

main()