[scribus] 1.5.6svn - daily builds PPA

Bert Driehuis driehuis at playbeing.org
Mon Jan 6 07:39:39 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:18 AM John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 01:19:47 +0100
> Bert Driehuis <bertd.fpevohf.arg at taw.playbeing.com> dijo:

> According to Help > About my current version is:
>         Build ID: C--T-F-C1.15.10-64bit
> And in synaptic it says it is:
>         1.5.6svn~r23206~20190923~ppa74~ubuntu18.04.1
>
> But I think that is exactly what it said when I installed it a couple
> days ago, and exactly the same as your version number above. Yet there
> have been a couple of new builds since I installed it. Do I conclude
> that they have not been automatically installed?

Correct.

> >>On launchpad.net-scribus I see that there have been a
> >> couple of new builds since I installed 1.5.6-trunk. When running
> >> Scribus 1.5.6svn there is an option to look for updates, which I have
> >> not yet used.

I would not expect that option to do something useful on an APT managed system.

> >I do not know what that option does on Linux. I do not believe this
> >option jives well with a PPA repository mainained package, so it
> >should probably be greyed out on PPA or comparable repo builds.
>
> It is not grayed out. I just haven't used it yet.

I meant to say: If ever I find out what it does, and it doesn't do
anything useful an on APT managed system, I'll fill an RFE for greying
it out.

> >My Scribus daily build has an About->Scribus menu, which shows a
> >"Build ID: C--T-F-C1.15.10-64bit". But if you report issues about
> >scribus-trunk from the PPA, you may wish to include the output from
> >  dpkg -l scribus-trunk|cat
> >to make sure.
>
> I tried that command just now, and got the same results as the package
> in Synaptic above, which matches what I have in About > Scribus, which
> is the same as you have.
>
> >From this discussion apparently the daily builds that I see on
> launchpad.net/-scribus have not been added to the Scribus that I
> have installed. Does this mean that they are installed only when the
> user specifically uses 'check for updates'? They definitely do not
> trigger a popup from Update Manager. I just wish I knew how they get
> installed.

Nope. They are apparently no longer built for bionic since september
2019. Anyway, according to
https://launchpad.net/~scribus/+archive/ubuntu/ppa, daily builds are
being generated for Ubuntu cosmic, disco and the upcoming eoan release
(18.10 and up). This is probably the result of bionic no longer
meeting updated dependancy requirements, but I do not recall exactly,
and a quick Google didn't turn up the answer. The offending
requirement may be for libpoppler, which would break a lot of stuff it
the PPA were to include an updated copy of libpoller-glib8.

The info blurb on the PPA should probbaly be updated to reflect this.

With kind regards,

Bert Driehuis