[scribus] 1.5.6svn - daily builds PPA

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Jan 6 06:18:18 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 01:19:47 +0100
Bert Driehuis <bertd.fpevohf.arg at taw.playbeing.com> dijo:

>> The daily builds do not change the packages that are available, so if
>> there is a new build, it does not appear in the updates, and there
>> will never be a popup.
>
>That is not correct. Updated packages will result in a new version for
>the underlying the dpkg package. Look for a version number like
>1.5.6svn~r23206~20190923~ppa74~ubuntu18.04.1 to identify a daily
>build. You may need the command line for that (see below).

According to Help > About my current version is:
	Build ID: C--T-F-C1.15.10-64bit
And in synaptic it says it is:
	1.5.6svn~r23206~20190923~ppa74~ubuntu18.04.1

But I think that is exactly what it said when I installed it a couple
days ago, and exactly the same as your version number above. Yet there
have been a couple of new builds since I installed it. Do I conclude
that they have not been automatically installed?

>>On launchpad.net-scribus I see that there have been a
>> couple of new builds since I installed 1.5.6-trunk. When running
>> Scribus 1.5.6svn there is an option to look for updates, which I have
>> not yet used.
>
>I do not know what that option does on Linux. I do not believe this
>option jives well with a PPA repository mainained package, so it
>should probably be greyed out on PPA or comparable repo builds.

It is not grayed out. I just haven't used it yet.

>> But Scribus here has been shut down and re-launched
>> several times, so it's possible that these new builds have been added
>> and I am now alrready using a later build. I'm just trying to figure
>> out how I can tell which build I am using. After all, if I encounter
>> a bug and wish to report it I'd certainly need to specify which
>> build I was using when I ran into it.

>My Scribus daily build has an About->Scribus menu, which shows a
>"Build ID: C--T-F-C1.15.10-64bit". But if you report issues about
>scribus-trunk from the PPA, you may wish to include the output from
>  dpkg -l scribus-trunk|cat
>to make sure.

I tried that command just now, and got the same results as the package
in Synaptic above, which matches what I have in About > Scribus, which
is the same as you have.

From this discussion apparently the daily builds that I see on
launchpad.net/-scribus have not been added to the Scribus that I
have installed. Does this mean that they are installed only when the
user specifically uses 'check for updates'? They definitely do not
trigger a popup from Update Manager. I just wish I knew how they get
installed.

>Unfortunately, the Ubuntu world has gotten quite complicated with
>flatpacks, snaps and appimages, which do not follow (and usually
>conflict with) APT guidelines. I try to stick with APT-managed
>packages as much as I can.

Me too. I avoid Appimages and Snap as much as possible. Frankly,
they're a pain in the [expletive].