[scribus] UHD monitor problems

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Jan 2 21:34:05 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 23:39:39 +0300
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> dijo:

>On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 10:58 PM John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>
>> I have a brand new laptop with a 4K screen (3840x2160), on which I
>> use Xfce 4.12 on Xubuntu 18.04, up to date.
>>
>> The version of Scribus is 1.5.3. However, Scribus is unusable because
>> at the top of the document window I see:
>>
>> FileEditItemInsertPageTableExtrasViewScripterWindowHelp
>>
>> In a font that is about 1.5mm high. Worse, if I click on any of them
>> the menu is blank, completely missing. If I open a toolbar the font
>> in the toolbar is OK, but the title at the top of the toolbar is in
>> the same tiny size.

>Yes, but you won't like it: upgrade your system to 19.10 and build
>Scribus yourself.
>
>I used to start Scribus and other Qt apps with various Qt variables
>for scaling. Usually, it looked bad. After upgrading to 19.10, none of
>that matters. Qt apps just run at proper scale factor automatically,
>at least from GNOME.

I have read that Gnome handles UHD displays better than some other
desktop environments, but switching to it from Xfce is not trivial.
Plus, I hate it. :)

I have made progress. I had been running 1.5.3 from the Appimage, so
just now I downloaded the Appimage for 1.5.5. It is much better. File
Edit, etc. now appear with spacing between the items, and the items
appear in the menus when I click on a File Edit item. But everything
that was in the tiny font is the same. I can read it if I squint, so
Scribus is now at least usable. And objects appear correctly, e.g., if
I open a text frame and type in it the words appear in the correct
size. And if I open the Text Properties toolbar so it is floating the
items appear in normal size; it's just the title bar of the toolbar
that is in tiny size.

Besides the title bar of floating toolbars, what remains in tiny size
are the File Edit bar, the menu items when I click on a File Edit
item, and tool tips when I hover over an icon.

I should add that I also have the tiny text problem in the URL bar of
the Chromium web browser. But all my other apps display menu bars
correctly. Scribus must be getting the text size to use from somewhere
in the settings of the desktop environment, but I'm not a programmer,
so that's just a guess.