[scribus] UHD monitor problems

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 20:39:39 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 10:58 PM John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I have a brand new laptop with a 4K screen (3840x2160), on which I use
> Xfce 4.12 on Xubuntu 18.04, up to date.
>
> The version of Scribus is 1.5.3. However, Scribus is unusable because
> at the top of the document window I see:
>
> FileEditItemInsertPageTableExtrasViewScripterWindowHelp
>
> In a font that is about 1.5mm high. Worse, if I click on any of them
> the menu is blank, completely missing. If I open a toolbar the font in
> the toolbar is OK, but the title at the top of the toolbar is in the
> same tiny size.
>
> I thought I'd look into Preferences to see if I could fix this, but I
> can't get into Preferences because the menus are all missing. I've had
> to fix an occasional minor item in other applications, but nothing like
> this.
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes, but you won't like it: upgrade your system to 19.10 and build
Scribus yourself.

I used to start Scribus and other Qt apps with various Qt variables
for scaling. Usually, it looked bad. After upgrading to 19.10, none of
that matters. Qt apps just run at proper scale factor automatically,
at least from GNOME.

Alex